Friday, April 30, 2010

THE SCHOOL

"It all started out as a dream. Hope THE SCHOOL entertains you"

THE SCHOOL - EPISODE 1

Tonight was a little different than the rest. It was raining and lightning heavily outside. My friends and I were on a bus ride to night school. It was a newly renovated school for adults to upgrade and gain knowledge. The road was rather dark and lonely with several cars passed by. The bus somehow slowed down, as the rain got heavier and heavier. However, the bus driver managed to guide on the road and safely arrive to the night school. Looking out from the bus window, I felt tired and wanted to rest on my bed. It wasn’t a great night to study when I was supposed to sleep on my bed while listening to some smooth music. Like it or not, I got off from the bus and sprang towards the school’s main entrance. My friends, Tyson and Jesse, on the other hand, were showered with raindrops. I was lucky because I knew it was going to rain tonight and also brought myself an umbrella.

We managed to attend the class but we were a little late due to the rainy weather. Anyway, the instructor was fine with us since our reason to be late was absolutely acceptable. As usual, the class was rather dull and repetitive. Throughout the class, we almost felt asleep. Well, I started writing messages to my classmates in a piece of paper. In the note, I wrote, “This class is bored to death”. Tyson wrote back, “Let’s go out for a break”. Jesse suggested us to hang out at the cafeteria. Well, we eventually ended up agreeing on his suggestion. To go out from the class together at once would trigger some suspicious feedback from the instructor; therefore, we came up different excuses to escape the dullness of the class. My excuse was simple that I needed to go to washroom. Tyson wanted to get some drinks from the cafeteria, and Jesse wanted to hand in his already-due assignment.

As we got out from the class and to the cafeteria, we were laughing like kids in the hallway. Out of nowhere, we felt relaxing and free. In a table, in front of a cashier counter, we sat there to chill out and laugh at everyone’s jokes. The cafeteria was quite empty during this hour since most students would probably stay at home, watching American Idol. It was just tiring and hectic for me to study and at the same time working part-time. I needed extra income to sustain my busy lifestyle. Well, we took our turn to order our drinks. Tyson went first to order a cold orange juice, and Jesse got himself a hot chocolate. They both came back to the table and started sipping in their delicious drinks. First, I didn’t feel like drinking at all, but somehow my throat got thirsty. As usual, I went to line-up and wanted to order something warm and refreshing.

My turn to order my drink finally arrived. However, the counter girl gave me a smile for like few seconds. To me, it was a little weird. I thought she knew me from somewhere or she was smiling at someone behind me. I slowly turned around and saw nothing. My friends, who sat on the table in front of the counter, disappeared. To my sudden surprise, I turned back to the counter girl. During the process of turning back, the cozy environment, the bright walls of the school and the sweet surrounding of the cafeteria unimaginably turned to a gloomy and eerie old school. The newly painted wall had turned into a rusty charcoal-like wall with unpaved bricks. The smiling girl had vanished as I finally turned back and looked at her. Now, the school had turned into total darkness. This was something daunting.

No comments: